Calculating Capital Gains Tax
This module was developed with the objective of providing learners with a comprehensive understanding of the requirements of the Act and how to apply this in calculating possible taxable capital gains.
This course is ideal for students and serve as a refresher to already qualified professionals.
Presented by Diane Seccombe
In your own time
What can you expect from this course
The content of this course will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the income tax considerations when calculating capital gain taxes. This course is ideal for students and working professionals.
This course has the following outcomes:
- To provide an overview of deemed disposals, including when there is a change of intention in the use of capital assets;
- To assist you in understanding how to calculate proceeds from the sale of a capital asset;
- To provide a clear understanding of how to treat losses incurred with capital creditors for capital gains tax purposes;
- To assist you in understanding the Capital Gains Tax implications for waiving debt for debtors;
- To provide understanding of other Capital Gains Tax matters, including donations or disposals to connected persons, the private use of trade assets, the personal use of assets, how to calculate the base cost of an asset as well as primary residence implications for Capital Gains Tax; and
- To provide a comprehensive overview of the various roll over provisions available to the taxpayer relating to Capital Gains Tax.
AFTER COMPLETING THIS COURSE YOU WILL KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION
Do I pay Capital Gains Tax on my South African Lottery Winnings?
MEET THE FACILITATOR
Admitted Attorney, BCom, LLB, LLM (Taxation)
Diane Seccombe is an admitted attorney with a masters degree in taxation. She has over 15 years of experience with taxation. Diane is currently the National Head of Tax Training at Mazars Academy Proprietary Limited and in this capacity provides tax training to professional institutes, banks, financial service providers and financial planners. She is also well known amongst students for her tax lectures at post graduate level. Diane consults on income tax matters including, corporate, individual and international tax and is an expert in Value Added Tax.